"It Could Happen To You"
After being falsely accused, Bill Bastuk vowed to funnel his experience into positive action. Hence, It Could Happen To YOU was formed. “No resident or visitor of the United States should ever be subject to this broken system of justice. Rest assured that It Could Happen To YOU will battle for long overdue oversight and reform,” Bill Bastuk.
See How It Happened To You to post your own story and read a full accounts of other people falsely accused. It Could Happen To YOU is a nonprofit organization [501 (c) (3)] dedicated to serving the needs of the falsely accused.
Our Tenets and Our Strategy
- You could be falsely accused.
- You are innocent until proven guilty.
- You are entitled to all evidence in the prosecutor’s possession prior to presentation to the grand jury.
- You are entitled to the uninterrupted selection of a trial jury who is impartial and representative of the community.
- You, the accused, should have your name protected from the public until either convicted or acquitted.
- Falsely accusing you threatens the community at large by circumventing the search for the real perpetrator
- Increase the public’s awareness of the current laws, practices and procedures of the judicial and law-enforcement systems.
- Provide a forum for public dialog on current and relevant issues.
- Monitor legislation and news pertinent to the judicial and law-enforcement systems.
- Recommend reforms.
- Establish a legal defense fund for the wrongly accused so they may obtain services necessary for a competent defense such as private investigation and forensic tests, as well as counseling to cope with the duress
- Educate and mobilize citizens to demand that public policy be altered to better protect the rights of the innocent.
- Serve as a source of invaluable support, resources and information for those wrongly accused.